Humans are visual creatures. That was the opening line of another great session I attended on day one at CMWorld.
The Marketer’s Guide to Visual Content was presented by a cool dude who calls himself Todd Wheatland J
This blog post is skewed towards the video aspect of visual content…just coz we love video!
6 trends which have changed the way we consume video
Firstly, Todd brought us through six trends which have changed the way we consume video:
- The influx of smartphones
- Mobile is making it easy to consume videos
- Social calls for us to create videos that are cool to share
- The multi-screen phenomenon is calling for us to create and distribute responsive videos
- B2B Meets B2C: We have to make even the most boring product or service entertaining. Video allow us to do this.
- Content Inflation: We have to make unique in order for us to get bang for our content buck.
I thought Todd’s ideas for inspiring video content were, as they say in the States, pretty neat:
7 Great Ideas to inspire Video Creation
- Be Funny
- Behind the Scenes
- Sit a video on your homepage (above the fold)
- Explainer videos – can be that video sitting on your homepage. These videos should be 60-90 seconds long and should be seen as your calling card to the world.
- Repurpose old content. Make videos to accompany old blog posts. Check this out as a great example -> Why Pluto is No Longer a Planet
- Micro format videos such as Vine and animated GIFS
3 Bottom Lines For Visual Content
Finally, he gave us some key takeaways:
- Atomizing and repurposing – take a blog post, make a video about it, or indeed an infographics or a meme
- Personality and Relevance – fill it with personality and humour, and make it relevant to your audience
- Frequency and Surprise – you have to be frequent with your content, but you also need to be surprising…there is nothing exciting about being predictable.
Is there anything here that surprises you?