Myself and Alan just attended a great talk by Content Marketing Specialist Lee Odden from Top Rank Online Marketing. I was typing like a maniac so I could publish a blog post super quickly especially for all those people who just couldn’t get to #CMWorld (you’re missing out by the way, it’s amazing!).
Lee gave some insight into the future of content marketing. Here is the lowdown….
The future of content marketing
- Increase in author authority (yes that’s the Google Authorship we keep harping on about!)
- More structure data – cards, microdata (schema)
- Increase in brand publishers competing with traditional media (Amex OPEN, Adobe CMP, Tablespoon)
- Publishers selling marketing services and platforms
- Big increase in native ads and sponsored content
- Consumption devices: Google Glass, Gesture Interfaces, Internet Enabled Cars and Appliances
- Visual – consumers are 44% more likely to engage with brands if they post pictures than any other media
- Viewers are 85% more likely to purchase a product after watching a product video
- Adaptive – real time – being able to monitor what is going on and being able to react straight away.
- Human – humour – gateway to the American (and we think Irish) psyche! People prefer to share “funny” over important
- Collaborative – content which is created by lots of people rather than just one person
- Curation – taking content from different sources…employees, customers, the whole web
- Mobile and App Utility
- Search and social integration.
- Converged media – paid, earned, owned and shared media working all together
- Customer content journey (think about the purchase funnel that we love so much
- Storytellying and media 360 (omni-channel – transmedia storytelling)